There and Back Again - The Opening of Cornucopia LLC  

Posted by Big Gav

TOD has a post from Nate Hagens, who has had an epiphany and renounced his previous views on peak oil and economics - There and Back Again - The Opening of Cornucopia LLC.

Dear theoildrum.com readers. Many of you may have wondered about my absence here over the last 6 months or so. Suffice it to say that I've had a sea change of understanding about both our situation and on the opportunities it presents. As such, I’ve made some career change decisions, which Kyle and Gail are allowing me to share with you here (based on my prior efforts at TOD). Starting May 1, I have accepted an offer from Goldman Sachs to become a Managing Partner in a new energy and resource hedge fund where I'll be one of three people responsible for security selection and risk management. Details, and the story of how I came to 'see the light' on resource depletion opportunities are below the fold. Basically I feel like a kid in a candy store.

OK - here it is in a nutshell - though I used to think the main problem with economic theory was that it ignored biology on the demand side and ecology on the supply side, I now see the reality is that neither biology nor ecology has incorporated enough economic theory. Basically, my efforts at falsification of positive economics even down to the day to day micro level have come up wanting. There are more people, more wealth, more stuff and more novelty in the human sphere of influence then ever before. After all humans are separate from and above all others in the animal kingdom and as such adhere to different rules. ...

First, let me say that I've learned an amazing amount talking with energy and ecologically minded folk on this site - they (you) are truly a great bunch of people, though in the end, I think a bit misguided about resource depletion prospects. My key 'aha' moment was when I was in a conversation last year with new TOD contributor Art Berman discussing the amount of affordable unconventional natural gas in the US. He has (mostly convincingly) debunked the standard view that there are 100 years of natural gas remaining by hypothesizing that it will be extremely costly to produce. His, (and others) logic is then, that we won't be able to procure this resource because consumers won't be able to afford the $10, $15, $20 etc per mcf needed to pay the energy companies. But guess what - technology is getting better. But much more importantly, even were tech improvements to stagnate, we can print the money to pay for it.

Some other sea changes in my thinking are:

1. The 'decreasing returns to complexity theory' just falls down. a)we aren't Roman or beavers and b)complexity is needed to grow. Ergo growth feeds complexity and vice versa in a virtuous cycle.

2. I used to think reserves were more relevant than resources in oil and gas until I realized that the resource has to be found first!. There is a sequence of events here. Duh.

3. Those that think we are headed for eventual currency reform due to debt overshoot are missing three fundamental truisms: a)more debt satisfies our evolved need for hierarchy, b)of the houses with mortgages in US, in aggregate they are almost at 100% loan to value right now, meaning people NEED more debt. Aand the zinger: c) new credit/dollars require very few natural resources - some paper (forestry product), ink and machinery, most of which is already built!

4. Those attached to abstractions of the 'trillions of yet unborn humans and other species' (I'm thinking of that moonbat commenter Greenish), and hypothetical damage to the earth via human activity are not grounded in the reality of mortgage and car payments, and vacations.

5. I used to think markets represented liquidity only and not predictors of future earnings stream but I now realize that liquidity creates its own wealth and earnings stream. And we have nearly unlimited liquidity! (I'm embarrassed that I missed this, but sometimes we get tunnel vision)

Even though I now fundamentally believe that resources, at least on the scale of my lifetime are unlimited, that doesn't mean that I've not picked up some valuable things from the contributors here over the years, like cool stuff about phosphorous, algae and cows, and by living modestly during this time, I have reset my brain for a multiplicity of dopamine surges as I ratchet back into conspicuous consumption.

Basically I've spent 5 years learning really interesting stuff, attempting to share knowledge with other civically minded citizens of the world, and with what was in retrospect naive optimism tried to push our cultural metric away from Veblen goods and conspicuous consumption towards something more in balance with future solar flows. What a load of crap. All on a graduate stipend of $21,000 a year. Sure I've had more free time than ever before in my life, met all kinds of interesting people, learned how to grow and store food, and experienced nature at a level never available to those who work 50 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. But screw all that - given the opportunity cost of money think of everything I've missed. ...

I've decided that while there are plenty of resources, the distribution of those resources is likely to be increasingly uneven ((which is an opportunity if I ever saw one). I also like hot food, hot tubs and large wattage stereo systems, amongst other gadgetry, particularly if I know other people don't have as much of this stuff. Really, let's be honest, relative wealth is the very best kind since it's the most satisfying. Ive figured out my minimum threshold of personal household kilowatt requirement and a graduate student salary just isn't going to cut it. Irrespective of future electricity per capita, I've basically chosen the 93.5 percentile of electricity usage as 'nates minimum', which is part of the reason I've succumbed to Goldmans advances. And since I'm now aware of the hedonic ratchet, I have a plan for negotiating this level higher (in my contract) by bumping that percentile a bit each year.

Another reason is I want to leave a large nest egg to my progeny. (not for them, actually, but for the way it makes me feel now as I brag about it). Though I currently don't have any children, my new 'aha' that we can print our way out of the limits to growth corner has kickstarted what I refer to as my 'No condoms - No standards' policy. So I'm guessing I will have over a dozen kids due in about 7-8 months. Mom get ready. Moreover, in an homage to the future of globalism I'm "outsourcing" my reproduction to the third world by awarding $500 grants for each genetically verified child conceived with the sperm I've sent to various third-world refrigeration facilities. In that way I intend to finally embrace the the agenda of my genes. ...

Though this isn't really public yet, my (new) colleagues were fortunate to hook me up with not only with great lawyers but great administrative/marketing people as well. We are going to securitize the future profits of Cornucopia LLC. Basically it will work like this. Given the background and expertise of everyone involved, on a ProForma basis we expect to make around 50% net in profits per year on an initial seed of $100 million. If we discount that income/trading stream back to the present, the net present value of our fund is about $500 million - we are offering people shares of this $500 million entity at a 20% discount! (total of $400 million). If you do the math, we those of on the inside are going to do very well. Hey, life is about reallocating resources away from others and the future towards oneself in the present- if you can't beat em join em!

2 comments

This is satire, right?

Yes - look at the date on the post...

Post a Comment

Statistics

Locations of visitors to this page

blogspot visitor
Stat Counter

Total Pageviews

Ads

Books

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels

australia (619) global warming (423) solar power (397) peak oil (355) renewable energy (302) electric vehicles (250) wind power (194) ocean energy (165) csp (159) solar thermal power (145) geothermal energy (144) energy storage (142) smart grids (140) oil (139) solar pv (138) tidal power (137) coal seam gas (131) nuclear power (129) china (120) lng (117) iraq (113) geothermal power (112) green buildings (110) natural gas (110) agriculture (91) oil price (80) biofuel (78) wave power (73) smart meters (72) coal (70) uk (69) electricity grid (67) energy efficiency (64) google (58) internet (50) surveillance (50) bicycle (49) big brother (49) shale gas (49) food prices (48) tesla (46) thin film solar (42) biomimicry (40) canada (40) scotland (38) ocean power (37) politics (37) shale oil (37) new zealand (35) air transport (34) algae (34) water (34) arctic ice (33) concentrating solar power (33) saudi arabia (33) queensland (32) california (31) credit crunch (31) bioplastic (30) offshore wind power (30) population (30) cogeneration (28) geoengineering (28) batteries (26) drought (26) resource wars (26) woodside (26) censorship (25) cleantech (25) bruce sterling (24) ctl (23) limits to growth (23) carbon tax (22) economics (22) exxon (22) lithium (22) buckminster fuller (21) distributed manufacturing (21) iraq oil law (21) coal to liquids (20) indonesia (20) origin energy (20) brightsource (19) rail transport (19) ultracapacitor (19) santos (18) ausra (17) collapse (17) electric bikes (17) michael klare (17) atlantis (16) cellulosic ethanol (16) iceland (16) lithium ion batteries (16) mapping (16) ucg (16) bees (15) concentrating solar thermal power (15) ethanol (15) geodynamics (15) psychology (15) al gore (14) brazil (14) bucky fuller (14) carbon emissions (14) fertiliser (14) matthew simmons (14) ambient energy (13) biodiesel (13) investment (13) kenya (13) public transport (13) big oil (12) biochar (12) chile (12) cities (12) desertec (12) internet of things (12) otec (12) texas (12) victoria (12) antarctica (11) cradle to cradle (11) energy policy (11) hybrid car (11) terra preta (11) tinfoil (11) toyota (11) amory lovins (10) fabber (10) gazprom (10) goldman sachs (10) gtl (10) severn estuary (10) volt (10) afghanistan (9) alaska (9) biomass (9) carbon trading (9) distributed generation (9) esolar (9) four day week (9) fuel cells (9) jeremy leggett (9) methane hydrates (9) pge (9) sweden (9) arrow energy (8) bolivia (8) eroei (8) fish (8) floating offshore wind power (8) guerilla gardening (8) linc energy (8) methane (8) nanosolar (8) natural gas pipelines (8) pentland firth (8) saul griffith (8) stirling engine (8) us elections (8) western australia (8) airborne wind turbines (7) bloom energy (7) boeing (7) chp (7) climategate (7) copenhagen (7) scenario planning (7) vinod khosla (7) apocaphilia (6) ceramic fuel cells (6) cigs (6) futurism (6) jatropha (6) nigeria (6) ocean acidification (6) relocalisation (6) somalia (6) t boone pickens (6) local currencies (5) space based solar power (5) varanus island (5) garbage (4) global energy grid (4) kevin kelly (4) low temperature geothermal power (4) oled (4) tim flannery (4) v2g (4) club of rome (3) norman borlaug (2) peak oil portfolio (1)